Friday, May 28, 2010

Thursday May 27 and Friday May 28

On Thursday we got up and went to an African Coffee shop. We got drinks and sandwiches and spent some time just talking and enjoying the beautiful weather. Everything is very open here since there is no air conditioning. The breeze is wonderful though. We went into "The Mall" next to run into the supermarket. I saw a coconut and decided it would be fun to try. We left and jumped on some bodabodas (I guess the best way to describe these is a mix between a motorcycle and a moped) and they drove us to the main road. Here we got on a taxi and let me tell you...I've never in my life experienced anything like a taxi ride. The drivers constantly pick up people from the side of the road to make more money (even if there is no room) so people are piled on top of each other in this van going extremely fast down a crowded street. The lines on the road don't mean much here and people pass and drive when and wherever they want trying to avoid people and bodas. So now we are all jam packed into this taxi and then lady in the very back needed to get out so when we stopped everyone in her path had to exit the van and then pile back in. This happened to me 3 times before our stop. It is definitely an experience I won't forget. Normally when we go places we take Kenneth though. He drives pretty safely and knows different routes to dodge traffic. When we got back to the sozo house we gave the kids the new shoes, underwear, and backpacks that were donated. They were thrilled and are starting to learn some more English so they were walking around saying "sandals" and "backpack" and "sank you" they are still working on their "th" haha. Later I started shaving the coconut which the kids loved. We enjoyed that together until clumsy me hit my head on the open window. My day was done after that. It bled for a while and Esau was my nurse. He brought me a wet rag and cleaned me up and then came back periodically to check on me. When I came to sit in the living room he sat beside me and made sure I was ok. Jay sat in on the kids prayer requests last night and the trouble maker of the house, Dennis, asked if everyone would pray that he would behave better and have a better attitude. He is only 5! How precious is that. These kids are really in tune with God and believe in the power of prayer. It is fantastic!!

Today is Friday and I am stuck in the apartment feeling like poo. My head is aching which in turn is making me nauseous. It is a fun combination lol. Everyone else is going to a little island called Bethany where there is an orphanage. They are all going to see how that orphanage is run and maybe get some ideas for sozo.  

Please continue to keep us and the children in your prayers. God has some wonderful things ahead and we are so excited to see His work in action! Thank you for your constant support and I hope to hear from all of you!

Kwagala nyo

Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment